October 22, 2017
Draw a Breath, Not a Line

tragedycomedymasks.jpg

Throughout history and even last Thursday, inner-directed people on the so-called "spiritual path", have had a tendency to perceive the world as "maya" -- the fancy sanskrit name for "illusion."

I used to feel this way a lot.

Back in the early days of my adolescent quest for meaning, I had a curious habit of drawing lines in the sand. On one side of the line was the "inner life" -- the place where God lived (or if not lived, at least vacationed). On the other side of the line was "the world." You know -- the laughable detritus of life on planet Earth: relationships, shopping malls, money, politics, ego, organized religion, high school geometry, taxes, Frosted Flakes, and anything I didn't understand, agree with, or like.

Somehow, it made me feel good to draw these lines -- not unlike the way Democrat and Republican spin doctors strut their stuff on CNN after each political debate.

Well... I would like to take this late night blogospheric moment to humbly apologize to all of those whose lives I somehow judged by my habitual line-drawing behavior.

I see things differently now -- kind of like that old Zen story...

Two young monks, one fine day, found themselves existentially arguing over whether it was the wind or the flag that was moving. Unable to agree, they sought the counsel of their teacher.

"Master, oh Master" they asked, "is it the wind or the flag that is moving?"

"Neither," the Master replied. "It's your mind that is moving."

And so, dear friend, if you find yourself judging anyone these days, including yourself, chill. It's a total waste of time -- especially when you could be enjoying the very thing you were born for.

Draw a breath, not a line.

October 19, 2017
James Taylor on the Secret of Life

October 15, 2017
Kindness Boomerangs

Whatever path you follow, whatever religion you believe in, whatever your philosophy of life may be, this sweet video is a great reminder for all of us to come from a place of simple kindness.

October 14, 2017
Light Reading for Tough Times

SageCartoon2.jpg

The famous actor, Peter Ustinov once said something I will never forget. "Comedy," he explained, "is merely a funny way of being serious." Bingo! And one of the reasons why it was often the court jester who had the ear of the king.

And so... in the spirit of humor and laughter (much-needed during these turbulent times on planet Earth), I am happy to share ten light-hearted articles of mine that have been published in the Huffington Post in the past few years. My funny way of being serious. Enjoy!

(If you like what you read, please forward to friends.)

A Man of Few Words
The Syndrome Syndrome
How 13-Year Old Girls Can Wipe Out Terrorism
A Very Unexpected Journey
I Am Not a Handyman
The True Fruit of the Spiritual Path
What I Learned from Listening to Ravel's Bolero for 14 Hours
Consultant Outsources Sleep!
Mayan Calendar Prophecy Demystified
An Unforgettable Evening with Shlomo Carlebach

My favorite website

October 11, 2017
When the Rain Begins

When the Rain.jpg

Stuart Hoffman, Jennifer Edwards, and Stephen Rivera have joined their considerable forces to create an extraordinary anthem to love, hope, and possibility. Wow! When the Rain Begins is already a classic. Turn up the volume, turn off the news, take a deep breath, and enjoy.

October 05, 2017
SPOKEN WORD and ENCHANTING MUSIC FOR YOU: This Thirst!

3effe12c-5ef4-4cfb-bcf0-81285ce89468.png

A collaboration between Stuart Hoffman and myself. His music. My spoken word. Enjoy!

October 04, 2017
The Biggest Global Crisis of All?

cosmic head 2.jpg

There are a lot of crises going on around the world these days: the Environmental Crisis, the Refugee Crisis, the Water Crisis, the Monetary Crisis and many, many others. But the biggest crisis of them all, perhaps the root of all the other crises, hearkens back to an IDENTITY CRISIS -- human beings simply not knowing who they truly are. Here's my just-published rant about this phenomenon in the Huffington Post. If you resonate with the article, please forward it to anyone you think might find it useful. Merci!

October 01, 2017
Even in Your Darkest Hour

We all get down from time to time -- even inwardly-directed people who have experienced great joy and bliss. No worries, mate! John Adorney's song is a definite pick-me-up. Listen to it a few times and forward the link to any friends of yours who might be feeling blue.

Johnadorney.com