June 23, 2018
Paul McCartney's Carpool Karaoke

Stories can be told in many ways. I love the way Paul McCartney tells the story of his past with visits to his old haunts, conversation, music, and performance. This is a pearl. And James Corden is masterful in the role he plays in all of this.

June 21, 2018
My Vision for Fostering a Revolution of Inspired Storytelling

mitch at book launch.jpg
Although I have been deeply involved in the world of storytelling for the past six years, I think it's fair to say that I am relatively new to the game. Anthropologists tell us that oral storytelling emerged about the same time as language -- approximately 100,000 years ago. Based on my calculations, that puts me about 99,994 years late to the party. Oh well! Better late than never, eh? As I understand it, Grandma Moses didn't start painting until she was 64 and Abraham didn't get circumcised until he was 101. Some things take time, I guess.

That's one of the cool things about storytelling. Done well, it has a way of helping people experience that which is BEYOND time. Not "out there" stuff only noted in holy books. But "in there" stuff, embedded within each and every one of us.

SFTR COVER.jpg

And this is precisely what inspires me, these days, about storytelling. Storytelling is one of the simplest ways to spark awareness, connection, wisdom, and behavior change. Indeed, it is why I wrote my new book, Storytelling for the Revolution and why I wrote my previous book, Storytelling at Work. It is also why I deliver keynotes, workshops, and Wisdom Circles.

This, of course, is all "well and good", but not all that remarkable -- the kind of life story that could easily be dismissed as one man's attempt to create a cool way to make a living. But that would be a fiction. That is not my ultimate goal.

I'm not just interested in selling books and getting a few good pay days. What is way MORE interesting to me, is sparking a revolution of meaningful storytelling on planet Earth -- the kind of storytelling that uplifts, inspires, and awakens -- a simple way, available to ALL human beings, to elevate the conversation.

Towards that end (and to answer a question I was asked, yesterday, in a Mexican cafe), I share with you, now, my current vision for how I intend to accomplish the above. If you see yourself plugging into this vision in any way, let me hear from you. I'm just an email way.

1. GET MY BOOK into as many hands as possible.

2. CREATE AN AUDIO BOOK, so people can listen to my stories, not just read them.

3. DELIVER KEYNOTES and WORKSHOPS to forward thinking organizations.

4. DEVELOP A MODEL for how schools can leverage the power of storytelling to create community and spark lifelong learning -- beginning with an Islamic school in Australia where the work has already begun.

5. COACH movers and shakers committed to becoming transformative storytellers.

6. TRAIN THOUSANDS of people how to facilitate Wisdom Circles in their communities.

7. CHOOSE TO TELL A LIFE ENHANCING STORY whenever the opportunity arises.

8. BE A GOOD LISTENER (so others are encouraged to tell their stories)

9. CONTINUE PRODUCING my storytelling blog to support aspiring storytellers

10. COLLECT THE FAVORITE STORIES of living sages, teachers, and Masters -- then produce a book of them to demonstrate how ALL spiritual paths are basicially telling the same story.

Big thanks to Carey Berkus for asking me what my vision is.
Photo: Evelyne Pouget

Let Your Stories Bloom!

estes.jpg

"I hope you will go out and let stories, that is life, happen to you, and that you will work with these stories... water them with your blood and tears and your laughter till they bloom, till you yourself burst into bloom." -- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Storytelling for the Revolution

June 05, 2018
We Are All Storytellers

Creating the Innovation Mindset via Storytelling

June 01, 2018
The Three Daughters

Some stories deliver their message by what's NOT said...

Thanks to Ron Brent for the heads up

Storytelling for the Revolution

ABOUT THE BLOG

Storytelling at Work is a blog about the power of personal storytelling – why it matters and what you can do to more effectively communicate your stories – on or off the job. Inspired by the book of the same name, the blog features "moment of truth" stories by the author, Mitch Ditkoff, plus inspired rants, quotes, and guest submissions by readers.

Order the book:

Storytelling for the Revolution
Storytelling for the Revolution is Mitch Ditkoff's newly published book about the power of personal storytelling to elevate the conversation on planet Earth. Provocative. Evocative. And fun. YOU have stories to tell. This book will help you tell them.
"The world is not made of atoms," wrote the poet, Muriel Rukeyser. "It's made of stories." Learn how to discover, honor, and unpack the stories of yours that show up "on the job" in Mitch Ditkoff's award-winning 2015 book, Storytelling at Work.