August 30, 2021
What Drives Creativity?

banner_1c.jpg

If you have 23 minutes to spare and want to get some insights into what drives creativity (and what gets in the way), I invite you to click this link and listen to Gil Hanson's interview of me on his BE YOUR BEST podcast (episode #33).

Gil is a master facilitator of the process that enables people to understand, embrace, and design their own personal brand, no matter what their profession.

The podcast will be especially interesting to you if you are thinking of enrolling in my two-month, online Year of Living Creatively course which begins on September 12th.

More about the course

August 23, 2021
Everything You Need to Know About The Year of Living Creatively

MD Life is Good.jpg

"Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller

The next Year of Living Creatively course begins on September 12th. If you are interested, but not yet certain if the course is right for you, the following links will help you decide.

The deadline to enroll is September 1st.

Overview
Testimonials
An invitation to dive deeper into your own creative process
Who is the course really for?
What is the real value of The Year of Living Creatively?
How to identify your Year of Living Creatively project
The Year of Living Creatively Manifesto
The underground we cover
Entering the movie theater of your own creative process
The self-inquiry pages
The back story -- origins of the course
More about the creator of the course
People's three biggest concerns about enrolling in the course

Ready to enroll in the course? Pay $449 via PayPal: products@ideachampions.com

Want to talk? mitch@ideachampions.com

50 awesome quotes on possibility

August 21, 2021
Saying YES to Your Weirdness

August 20, 2021
15 Quotes on the Importance of Asking the Right Question

QuestionLady2.jpg

As a facilitator of the creative process, I continue to be astounded by how few organizations have any kind of process is place to PAUSE, reflect, and make sure they are coming up with the right questions. Apparently, I'm not alone.

1. "It's not that they can't see the solution. They can't see the problem." - G.K. Chesterton

2. "There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin

3. "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong." - Bono

4. "Ask the right questions if you're going to find the right answers." - Vanessa Redgrave

5. "Asking the right questions takes as much skill as giving the right answers." - Robert Half

6. "What people think of as the moment of discovery is really the discovery of the question." - Jonas Salk

7. "What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg

8. "The uncreative mind can spot wrong answers, but it takes a very creative mind to spot wrong questions." - Antony Jay

9. "In school, we're rewarded for having the answer, not for asking a good question." - Richard Saul Wurman

10. "In all affairs, it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted." - Bertrand Russell

11. "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso

12. "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers." - Voltaire

13. "We hear only those questions for which we are in a position to find answers." - Friedrich Nietszche

14. "My greatest strength as a consultant is to be ignorant and ask a few questions." - Peter Drucker

15. "He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever." - Chinese proverb

August 18, 2021
People's Three Biggest Concerns About Enrolling in THE YEAR OF LIVING CREATIVELY

WorriedLady3.jpg

Here they are: 1) Time; 2) Money; 3) Identifying a specific project.

That's it, folks. Those are the three most common reasons why people hesitate to enroll in The Year of Living Creatively, even if they understand the value of the course and have been referred by a trusted friend.

Let's take a look at each of these concerns, one at a time, so you have all the info you need to decide whether to proceed or not:

PuzzledBusMan3.jpg

1. TIME: Yes, I know you are busy. Yes, I know you have a lot on your plate. And yes, I know you sometimes over-commit or underestimate how much time it will take to accomplish a worthy goal. Welcome to the human race.

Will participating in The Year of Living Creatively take some time? Of course it will. Just like it takes time to tend a garden if you want a harvest at the end of the growing season. (By the way, it took JRR Tolkien 16 years to write The Lord of the Rings). All things of value take time.

So lets get specific. How much time will The Year of Living Creatively take you? Here's the breakdown, ladies and gentlemen -- the discreet elements of the course and how much time each element will require.

ZOOM CALLS: Every other week for 75 minutes. A total of 5.

SELF-INQUIRY PAGES: 15-30 minutes per week

CREATIVE PROCESS CALLS with PARTNERS: 45 minutes per week

AUDIO STORIES: 10-15 minutes per week

COACHING CALL with MITCH: One 60-minute call, sometime during the eight weeks of the course

-- PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP: Maybe 1-5 minutes each time to you log on. Optional

So, if you add everything up, you're looking at an average of one and a half to two hours per week. That's it. About the time to watch one Netflix video or 1/5 of your binge-watching time.

Is worth it? According to past graduates, the answer is a resounding YES.

2. MONEY: The tuition for the course is $449. That works out to $8 per day for 56 days or less than the cost of two cappuccinos per day (though the buzz of the course lasts a lot longer). The creator and facilitator of the course, Mitch Ditkoff, will earn approximately $5,000 every time he delivers the course (or $2,500 per month). Payment plans are available. Scholarships are also available.

3. IDENTIFYING A SPECIFIC PROJECT: Some people who want to enroll in The Year of Living Creatively know exactly what kind of project they want to focus on in the course -- an idea, vision, venture, aspiration, or goal they have identified as their "passion project." Other people who want to enroll are not yet clear about their project. Perhaps they have two or three projects that are calling them. Or perhaps committing to any one of them will push some buttons -- as in "what happens if I fail"?

This is all normal stuff. No big deal. Please don't let it get in your way. If you see the value of the course, but are not yet clear about which project to take on, relax. You will receive some self-inquiry pages before the course begins to help you get clear.

POSSIBLE NEXT STEPS:

-- If you already know you want to enroll in The Year of Living Creatively, there's no time like the present. As in RIGHT NOW. All you need to do is pay your $449 tuition via PayPal (projects@ideachampions.

-- If you know you want to enroll, but need to work out some kind of payment plan, contact Mitch (mitch@ideachampions.com)

-- If your enrollment in the course depends on you receiving a scholarship of some kind, click here to apply.

-- If you still have questions or concerns and want to set up a time to talk with Mitch, simple email him (mitch@ideachampions.com) and he will get back to you ASAP.

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it." - Charles Buxton

50 awesome quotes on possibility

August 16, 2021
What People Are Saying about THE YEAR OF LIVING CREATIVELY

IdeaBalloon9.JPG

If you are in the process birthing (or wanting to birth) an inspired idea, dream, vision, goal, or creative venture, I invite you to consider enrolling in my upcoming YEAR OF LIVING CREATIVELY course -- a two-month, online learning adventure (starting on September 12th) designed to provide aspiring innovators with all the insight, mojo, and mastery they need to manifest their heart's desire. It's fun. It's engaging. And it works. Tuition is $449. Payment plans available.

Here's what recent graduates have to say about it:

"The course had a profound affect on my life." - Michelle Cameron

"I got my mojo back and made huge amounts of progress." - Maribeth Raullerson

"It set me on a very positive course of making miracles happen." - Joan Apter

"I not only enjoyed the course, I made major headway" - Tucker Robbins

"Every time I attend a session, I walk away full of renewed courage, energy, and trust." - Tina Lindgreen

"A catalyst that provided the guidance, support, and structure I needed to transform my dream of starting a business into reality." - Doug Stuke

"This course has been like the opening of the clouds after a storm and the joy of letting the warm sun shine into my skin." - Mercedes Garcia

"Helped me clarify my vision of what I want to accomplish and create a road map to get it accomplished." - Mark Stephen Miller

"There is a lot of humor involved in the course. And one of the things I want in life right now is to laugh a lot." - Barbara Drausal

"Provided me with the emotional support I needed to free my inner artist." - Tina Lipson

"I was humbled by experiencing my own humanity." - Gretel Rogers

"A unique program that helps unleash human potential in a full-fledged way. - Nim Lal Bhandari

"A safe and fun meeting environment where there are no wrong answers, but perhaps better questions to ask ourselves." - Linda Hurst

"Helped me choose a project that really sparked my passion and go after it in a big and bold way." - Janet Cook

"A truly amazing learning experience." - Gilman Hanson

"The Year of Living Creatively helped me take my project three steps up, making it feel beyond a dream to a reality." - MaryJane Fahey

"I'm so delighted in my enlightened-up experience as a result of The Year of Living Creatively course, that I've just re-registered for the next one." - Ellen Goldberg

More about the course

Who is the course really for?
What is the real value of The Year of Living Creatively?
The Manifesto
More about the creator of the Year of Living Creatively
The underground we cover

Want to talk? Need more info? mitch@ideachampions.com

August 13, 2021
THE YEAR OF LIVING CREATIVELY Self-Inquiry Pages

A Universe of Stories 4.jpg

Once a week, for eight weeks, participants in The Year of Living Creatively course receive three, online self-inquiry pages from the list below. This is an opportunity for them to pause, reflect, and dive into their own creative process -- a simple way to increase their odds of manifesting bold aspirations, big ideas, and their heart's desire. Most pages require 15-30 minutes of reflection time. Once submitted, the facilitator of the course responds, via email -- providing participants with yet another opportunity to dive deeper into their own creative process.

SELF-INQUIRY PAGES

1. Follow Your Calling
2. Discover Your Real Question
3. The Art of Self-Reflection
4. Clarify Your Vision
5. Dream Big with Blue Sky Thinking

6. Make More Time for Creativity
7. Everything Begins with an Idea
8. When and Where Do You Get Your Best Ideas?
9. This is It! Begin Now!
10. Just Say Know: It's OK to be Ignorant, But Only for a Little While

11. The Ten Characteristics of a Highly Creative People
12. You Are on a Hero's Journey!
13. How to Get Out of the Box
14. Honor Your Crazy Ideas
15. Diffuse Your Inner Critic

16. Illuminate Your Blind Spots
17. Develop Your Own Natural Practice of Creativity
18. Overcoming Obstacles: How to Trick the Trickster
19. Go Beyond Your Limiting Assumptions
20. Find Your Natural Work Rhythm

21. Create the Space to Create
22. Act As If
23. The Art of Asking for Help
24. Embrace Messiness, Awkwardness, Frustration, and Difficulty
25. Take More Risks

26. Boundary Alert: How to Say "No"
27. Pilot! Experiment! Try Something New!
28. The Imperfection of Perfectionism
29. Simplify!
30. On Giving and Receiving Feedback

31. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway
32. Putting the Moment Back Into Momentum
33. The Art of Self-Acknowledgment
34. Is It Really More Discipline You Need?
35. Incubate! Lay Fallow! Let It Be!

36. Attract More Support

82. The Wisdom of Michelangelo
83. The Wisdom of John Lennon
84. The Wisdom of Martin Luther King

A sample self-inquiry page

Unlock creativity4.jpg

Testimonials from recent graduates
About the creator of the course

Intrigued? Interested? Want more information? mitch@ideachampions.com

August 12, 2021
The Year of Living Creatively Begins on September 12th

Unlock creativity3.jpg

If you are a reader of this blog, you most definitely are committed to becoming more innovative and creative. As the Founder and President of Idea Champions (and author of this blog), that has been my focus since 1987 -- providing innovation-sparking services to a wide range of forward thinking organizations around the world.

Covid-19, however, changed everything. My clients were no longer bringing in outside consultants or facilitators, as everything quickly went virtual. That's when I had the realization that the FORM of my work needed to change, as well as the AUDIENCE. Corporations were out. Individuals were in (even if those individuals worked in corporations).

And so I created The Year of Living Creatively -- a two-month online course -- a kind of greenhouse for grand possibilities... a GPS for the creative process... a chiropractic adjustment for creative mojo.

What follows are testimonials from recent graduates of the course.

If YOU want to enroll or would like more information before you decide, simply email me and I will respond ASAP (mitch@ideachampions.com)

"Mitch Ditkoff, the Founder of The Year of Living Creatively, has the ability to awaken the creative spark in others -- an ability he has honed and refined to a fine elixir over decades of teaching and writing. Be prepared to have your mind blown, your funny bone tickled, and your lights turned on. Mitch's insights, empathetic listening, and presence have had a profound effect on my life." - Michelle Cameron

"Mitch is part creativity shaman, Muse whisperer, writing coach, and mad poet. He employs all of these characters in the service of helping participants launch and bring to fruition their cherished projects." - Mira Rubenstein

"The Year of Living Creatively is a wonderful course. It's helped me clarify my vision of what I want to accomplish and create a roadmap to get it accomplished." - Mark Stephen Miller

"I am ever so grateful for the Year of Living Creatively experience and for the expansion that I perceive in my consciousness and in my everyday life! This is truly one of the most wonderful gifts I have received from the universe and have given myself in a long time, especially after this outrageous pandemic experience. This course has been like the opening of the clouds after a storm and the joy of letting the warm sun shine into my skin." - Mercedes Garcia

"The Year of Living Creatively program was a catalyst that provided the guidance, support, and structure I needed to transform my dream of starting a business into reality. It prompted breakthrough thinking on obstacles that anchored me from progress and motivated me to act using innovative ideas and new partnerships." - Doug Stuke

"Mitch has designed a course that has helped me confront my negative beliefs about my creativity and set me on a very positive course of making miracles happen. His theme of synchronicity and teamwork were real ground breakers for me. Thank you, Mitch, for all the love and care you heaped into the course, and into me." - Joan Apter

"Creativity, I've discovered, comes from a limitless space within me. When I fully open up to it, creativity flows through me. Mitch Ditkoff's Year of Living Creatively course has made it clear to me what a vital part of my life creativity can play. It helped me discover that it is a power that works for me to make my mission in life come true. Mitch has a wealth of inner strength and ability to evoke brilliance in others. Every time I attend his sessions I walk away full of renewed courage, energy, and trust that I am able to fulfill my very ambitious project. Obstacles are removed and I make progress right away." - Tina Lindgreen

"I received a lot of inspiration to continue with my project from The Year of Living Creatively program. Every time I read something new, it was always pointing to the strengtts and the many possibilities a project can have and the many possibilities I have to get to a successful end. I had lots of fun reading the stories. There is a lot of humor involved in the course. And one of the things I want in life right now is to laugh a lot." - Barbara Drausal

"Being part of the Year of Living Creatively provided me with the emotional support I needed to free my inner artist. I became less judgmental about my work and started to embrace and enjoy looking at my work. I feel like I took my work out of the dark and brought it to life again with fresh eyes and less criticism. I am learning to listen to myself and play with the process of giving myself permission to enjoy what I am expressing." - Tina Lipson

"The course is inspiring and practical enough that I am taking it again. During the course, I was able to write about a third part of my life, and design part of a self-sustainable cabin. I was humbled by experiencing my own humanity." - Gretel Rogers

"The Year of Living Creatively helped me take my project a step up -- maybe 3 steps up, making it feel beyond a dream to reality." - MaryJane Fahey

"The Year of Living Creatively is a unique program that helps unleash human potential in a full-fledged way. Before enrolling in the course, I didn't have the faintest idea of the power and enjoyment of writing. Now I have experienced it. The program has sparked a lot of hope in me." - Nim Lal Bhandari

"Mitch led us through a series of workshops, each thematically different but the goal was the same: to help us get clear and take action towards what really matters to us, bypassing all the usual resistances and excuses. He does this in a safe and fun meeting environment where there are no wrong answers, but perhaps better questions to ask ourselves. He has plenty of visual and video clips from other creative leaders/artists to stimulate us to ask more relevant questions and the courage to take new actions in new territories. Highly recommended." - Linda Hurst

"I want you to know how much I appreciated participating in The Year of Living Creatively. The entire process was very supportive. The self-inquiry pages helped me examine some of the things that were holding me back. Along with your feedback, they helped me go from thinking my biggest goal was just to boost my writing to realizing that my overarching desire is to let go of my Aspergian fear of being visible and to live big and bold as my own true self in all my autistic glory! This helped me choose a project that really sparked my passion and go after it in a big and bold way. I loved having a creative process partner and we plan to continue doing weekly support calls. The group Zoom calls were also helpful. It was good to see how other people were overcoming challenges and blocks to their creativity. I had a hunch when I signed up for the program that it would stretch me in some very positive ways, while forcing me to face some very old and deep fears. I'm glad I trusted my intuition, even though, at times, facing down those fears was terrifying! I had all the support I needed to 'face that fire and walk right through it.'" - Janet Cook

"I highly recommend The Year of Living Creatively. Before I started, I was stuck on a plateau in my venture of writing my memoirs. Very soon after taking the class, I got my mojo back and made huge amounts of progress in so many different ways related to my project. Mitch is an amazing coach who is an incredible listener and knows when to "kick your butt" and when to offer words of encouragement. Try it! You'll like it." - Maribeth Raullerson

"Travel within, face demons and overcome them with loving support of Mitch and team members. I not only enjoyed the course, I made major headway" - Tucker Robbins

"The Year of Living Creatively is a truly amazing learning experience. Mitch's explanations, stories, and examples were very helpful in opening up my creative channel while at the same time pushing me to focus on the details. Mitch is a caring mentor, motivator, and smart coach. I highly recommend the YOLC program to anyone who always wanted to succeed in a new and creative project." - Gilman Hanson

August 09, 2021
27 Best Practices of High Performing Volunteer Organizations

CelebratingMan.jpg
Unless you've been in a coma your entire life, chances are good that, at some time in your life (maybe now?) you've been a volunteer for a non-profit organization.

That's the good news.

The not-so-good news is that many volunteer organizations, without even knowing it, sabotage the value their volunteers bring to the table and you, as a result, may have backed off, gone south, or found yourself grumbling to the other volunteers.

I've recently done some informal research on the subject and have identified 27 "best practices" high performing volunteer organizations abide by. Take a peek. Then, volunteer to share the list with the leaders of whatever volunteer organizations you would like to see succeed at a higher level. Can do?

1. Clearly (and often) communicate the vision.

2. Provide clearly written job descriptions.

3. Take the time to authentically welcome volunteers and orient them to their new role.

4. Ensure that volunteers know exactly what's expected of them.

5. Start new volunteers off small. Don't scare them off with too huge of a commitment too soon.

6. Keep the workloads manageable.

7. Communicate progress being made on a regular basis. Volunteers need to see that their efforts are having impact.

8. When there are setbacks or breakdowns, learn from them -- and share your learnings with others.

9. Be prepared so you don't waste people's time.

10. Create a trusting environment that ensures open communication, teamwork, and respect for diversity.

11. Keep everyone on your team informed of the inevitable changes (i.e. direction, policy, timelines, goals, personnel etc.)

12. Provide opportunities for volunteers to switch to different roles they might find more enjoyable.

13. Give and receive feedback (both formally and informally).

14. Provide opportunities for volunteers to learn and grow.

15. Honor your commitments (and if, for any reason, you cannot -- renegotiate them with volunteers).

16. Give volunteers the opportunity to take breaks from the project.

17. Make sure volunteers know they can say "no" if they are overextended or overwhelmed.

18. Enthusiastically acknowledge successes, especially "small wins").

19. Be kind and respectful in all your interactions.

20. Do your best to make sure everyone is enjoying the process of participating.

21. Respond to input, questions, and feedback as soon as possible. Don't leave people hanging.

22. Build some interpersonal "chat time" into your meetings and conference calls.

23. Teach volunteers, in leadership positions, how to delegate.

24. Even when you are stressed or behind deadline, take the time to make sure your emails have a feeling of warmth to them.

25. Fill out Project Briefs on all projects you are inviting volunteer participation -- and share them with volunteers.

25. Conduct exit interviews whenever a volunteer ends their participation or is asked to step aside.

26. Share your learnings from the exit interviews with other managers.

27. Follow the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Storytelling for the Revolution
Storytelling for the Revolution is Mitch Ditkoff's newly published book about the power of personal storytelling to elevate the conversation on planet Earth. Provocative. Evocative. And fun. YOU have stories to tell. This book will help you tell them.
"The world is not made of atoms," wrote the poet, Muriel Rukeyser. "It's made of stories." Learn how to discover, honor, and unpack the stories of yours that show up "on the job" in Mitch Ditkoff's award-winning 2015 book, Storytelling at Work.