It's National TRUST YOURSELF Week!
This week, oh aspiring innovators, it's time to trust yourself. That's right. Trust. For the moment, forget about the business cases, spread sheets, best practices, data points, decision grids and the overly somber Six Sigmafication of your soul. You already know what to do. You do! You've known for a while. Now all you need to do is do it!
Upgrade Your In-House Brainstorm Facilitation Skills the Simple Way
Want to upgrade your change agents' brainstorm facilitation skills? Looking for a simple way to open the creative floodgates in your organization? Here's one way.
Read this if you think brainstorming is bogus.
Covers for our new 142-page facilitator guidebook
100 Awesome Quotes on What It Really Takes To Innovate
1. "I want to put a ding in the universe." - Steve Jobs
2. "Ideas won't keep. Something must be done about them." - Alfred North Whitehead
3. "Intuition will tell the thinking mind where to look next." - Jonas Salk
4. "If you have always done it that way, it is probably wrong." - Charles Kettering
5. "Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller
6. "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
15 Awesome Quotes on Collaboration
1. "It is the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed." - Charles Darwin
2. "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller
3. "If two men on the same job agree all the time, then one is useless. If they disagree all the time, both are useless." - Darryl F. Zanuck
4. "If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself." - Henry Ford
5. "Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell HolmesJuly 14, 2014
10 Things You Can Do in the Next 3 Minutes
1. Eat an apple
2. Brush your teeth
3. Sing a song
4. Make a to do list
5. Google yourself
6. Take your dog for a very short walk
7. Forgive your parents for being imperfect
8. Complain about the government
9. Write a mediocre haiku
10. Submit a 10-minute-or-less peace-themed video (or a link to a video) to PeaceCast, an organization of inspired volunteers who are producing a 48-hour livestream, on September 21st, to celebrate the UN-sanctioned International Day of Peace. Three minutes. That's all it takes. Three minutes to communicate a message of peace to a world that sorely needs it. Or you could brush your teeth. Click here.
NOTES FROM THE EDGE: Creative Destruction Breeds New Growth
The Heart of Innovation is pleased to post this wonderful piece by Lynnea Brinkerhoff, our OD Empress who recently attended a WOBI conference in NYC. This is her report.
This just in! Notable disruptions at the edge of the universe include the following:
In 2014, California lost 7B in agriculture due to drought conditions; Banks are bigger in the US now than before the 2008 bailout; There is a reverse effect of GDP and the "happiness factor" in the US; In the UK, there has been an grand exodus away from mainstream energy companies, bringing 600M in revenue to green utilities over the past five years; Japan has a ratio of pay for top executive to the worker on the floor of 11:1 versus the US, which has 475:1 ratio; happy nurses are the top measure of a high functioning hospital system and patient satisfaction rates; oceans are acidifying, threatening all life.July 07, 2014
Rene Descartes Had It Backwards
Rene Descartes, the famous French philosopher, mathematician, and writer is remembered by many as the author of the famous phrase, "I think therefore I am."
With all due respect to the probably-way-smarter-than-me Mr.Descartes, I don't buy it.
Based on my non-Aristotelian, late night sojourns into the flip side of thinking, it's become very clear to me that a more accurate statement would be "I am therefore I think."
Then again, since we all know Werner Heisenberg irrefutably proved that the experimenter affects the experiment, it is likely that the truest philosophical statement of being would probably take on the shape of the person who said it.
And so, in a highly non-caffeinated fit of blogospheric bravado, I present to you 15 alternate statements of epistemological coolitude that give Descartes' tired phrase (and mine) a run for their money.July 01, 2014
Creativity and the Play Instinct
June 27, 2014
We Speak Right Brain AND Left Brain
Because our blog is entertaining and our home office is in Woodstock, some organizations overlook us -- assuming we are a niche player. Not true. Here's a sampling of our clients And, by the way, we were the first company ever hired by AT&T to teach creative thinking to their work force. We speak right brain AND left brain.June 22, 2014
Blue State Digital in the House!
Blue State Digital -- a new media strategy and technology firm that specializes in online fundraising, advocacy, social networking, and constituency development has invited Idea Champions to custom design and lead a three-day brainstorm facilitation training for some of their movers and shakers in September.
We're honored and are very much looking forward to working with these fine folks to see how they can make their brainstorm sessions even more engaging and effective.
How did they find us? By googling "brainstorm facilitation."June 21, 2014
Einstein Recommends Idea Champions!
June 18, 2014
An Airport, an I-Phone, and Magic
OK, all you under-funded entrepreneurs, start-ups, filmmakers, non-profits, dreamers, teen wizards, and closet geniuses -- here's your inspiration for the day: a 5-minute video shot by weary traveler and lighting designer, Richard Dunn, on his iPhone, late one night at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas. On the making of the video
In what ways can YOU create some kind of "selfie" media moment to get the word out to the rest of us -- something that entertains and inspires? You don't need a lot of money. Or any. All you need is a good imagination, some time, and the willingness to do something different.June 16, 2014
Covering Our Assets, Part 2
You have opinions, yes? Well, we want them. Let us know which of the following possible covers for our new Brainstorm Facilitation Guidebook is most pleasing to you. Thank you!
June 13, 2014
100 Reasons Why You Don't Get Your Best Ideas At Work
Since 1986, I've asked 10,000 people where and when they get their best ideas. Less than 2% have said "the workplace."
Based on my 25 years of working with a ton of innovation-seeking organizations, here's my take on WHY:
1. Too much to do, not enough time.
2. Too many distractions and interruptions.
3. You work in a risk averse organization.
4. Sleep deprivation.June 11, 2014
Brainstorming Website Coming Soon!
June 10, 2014
20 Awesome Quotes on Beginning
1."Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
2. "There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth -- not going all the way, and not starting." - Buddha
3. "Be willing to be a beginner every single morning." - Meister Eckhart
4. "All great ideas and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning." - Albert Camus
5. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu
6. "Beginnings are always messy." - John Galsworthy
7. "When there is a start to be made, don't step over! Start where you are." - Edgar Cayce
Got Ideation Process?
June 04, 2014
What Is Your Big Idea?
I know you have a big idea. A juicy one. One you have a hard time not thinking about. What is it? And what is your next step to get it out of your head and into the world?June 02, 2014
Solar Freakin' Roadways
Here's a brilliant idea and an Indiegogo project worth supporting.June 01, 2014
THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD: Simplicity
July 2014, June 2014, May 2014, April 2014, March 2014, February 2014, January 2014, December 2013, November 2013, October 2013, September 2013, May 2013, April 2013, March 2013, February 2013, January 2013, December 2012, November 2012, October 2012, September 2012, August 2012, July 2012, June 2012, May 2012, April 2012, March 2012, February 2012, January 2012, December 2011, November 2011, October 2011, September 2011, August 2011, July 2011, June 2011, May 2011, April 2011, March 2011, February 2011, January 2011, December 2010, November 2010, October 2010, September 2010, August 2010, July 2010, June 2010, May 2010, April 2010, March 2010, February 2010, January 2010, December 2009, November 2009, October 2009, September 2009, August 2009, July 2009, June 2009, May 2009, April 2009, March 2009, February 2009, January 2009, December 2008, November 2008, October 2008, September 2008, August 2008, July 2008, June 2008, May 2008, April 2008, January 2008, December 2007, September 2007, August 2007, July 2007,