September 08, 2008
The Top Seven High Tech Excuses

One way to measure just how omnipresent technology has become in our lives these days is to notice the number of times our EXCUSES include a techno-bent.

In days gone by, breaking a commitment had far more of a human aspect to it, as in "The babysitter was late" or... "I got caught in traffic" or... "The dog ate my homework."

No more. These days, high tech excuses rule -- simple, and often untrue, ways of saving face (and maybe your job.) Here's some of the most common ones:

1. "The server's down."
2. "You're breaking up."
3. "Your email ended up in my spam folder."
4. "I'm out of range."
5. "My laptop crashed."
6. "I can't find my Blackberry."
7. "I forgot to recharge my battery."

I know I'm forgetting some. What? The first three people who send me a reasonable excuse get a free copy of my new book (unless I can think of a really good high tech excuse not to mail it.)

Posted by Mitch Ditkoff at September 8, 2008 12:36 PM

Comments

I couldn't open the attachment...

Posted by: Beth Robinson [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 8, 2008 01:35 PM

And you have a great excuse not to mail the book. Your comment form doesn't require an email address, so it could be a little difficult to get a snail mail address. My blog has a "contact me" link though, if you are so inclined...

Posted by: Beth Robinson [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 8, 2008 01:40 PM

I didn't get a calendar reminder from Outlook.

Posted by: Dave Marcus [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 8, 2008 03:06 PM

I don't remember which password opens that application.

Posted by: Chris [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2008 12:13 AM

I had a power surge and I am using a dial up connection. It takes forever to open anything

Posted by: Chris [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2008 12:14 AM

The magnetic strip on the ID card is damaged so I couldn't get in. Mitch I want that damn book bring it to Denver

Posted by: Chris [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2008 12:24 AM

I could not find your "fax" number (by e-mail of course)

Posted by: JOSE JOAQUIN PEREZ KRUMENACKER [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2008 02:02 AM

The main fuse in the building burned out.
My dog ate my mouse.

Posted by: Peter Kuhar [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 22, 2008 11:59 AM

I don't have an Orkut account anymore.

Posted by: GP [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 30, 2008 08:23 AM

Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)

Remember me?

Visit IdeaChampionsUniversity.com to find out more.
Our New Book

If you want to know when Mitch Ditkoff's new book, "Wisdom at Work", will be published, enter your email address.

Your Email address:
See Mitch's keynote address Enjoy a 7-minute interview with Mitch at the Ethical Sourcing Forum in NYC: 3/28/11

Breakthrough Cafe.
A totally unique brainstorming salon. Great food. Great food for thought. Great people. Collaborate, have fun, get out of the box.

"Inno-waiters With Whine Lists" – The Breakthrough Cafe featured in January 2006 issue of